Sew Many Things

At a Glance


  • Final Cut Pro X
  • After Effects
  • DualEyes


  • Canon 60D
  • Canon 7D
  • iMac

My Roles:

  • Editor
  • Colourist
  • Sound Edit
  • Sound Mix

Project Overview

Sew Many Things is a 10 minute short film focused on the relationship between a grandfather and his grandson. Whilst the two start on unstable grounds, the grandson eventually becomes the key to rescuing his grandfathers shop sewing shop.

One of the aims of this production was to match the quality for audio and video as required by BBC technical standards. The only area in which we were allowed a concession on this was that we could shoot 4:2:0 rather than 4:2:2 and that we could deliver on a file.

Post Production Workflow

This film served as one of my major tests of the Final Cut Pro X platform. I decided at the start to carry out the entire post production process inside the software. This meant acquisition, media management, editing, sound and colour grading. The only time external software was used was for a few shots that needed to be composited in After Effect and DualEyes to batch sync to audio to the video.

The SD cards were copied in full to multiple drives on set to ensure we had back ups of all the footage. Then on the evening of the shoot, these would be taken back to the editing suite and imported into Final Cut Pro and organised based on the scene and location. These were then made available to the director so that she could pick out her favourite takes using the favourite feature inside FCP X.

Initially when editing, the Event was set to display only favourited takes meaning that I could be sure I was editing using the takes that the director was most happy with. However, as this was only metadata, I could switch back to viewing all takes if I felt I needed a different shot to the one selected.

The film was graded entirely using the tools inside Final Cut, which turned out to be more than powerful enough for what was required. At the time the only issue was the grades could not easily be copied between clips which slowed the process down (this feature has since been added).

The film had been framed in 2.40:1 aspect ratio, rather than the 16:9 format that is was recorded in. Therefore in Post we added black bars to the top and bottom of the image to recreate the original aspect ratio. This method also allowed us to carry out some reframing when necessary.

The film required extensive grading in some scenes, particularly some of the dark scenes where the grandfather is teaching his grandson how to show, as there were big changes in the colour and brightness of the scene depending on the camera angle.

The sound edit and mix were also carried out inside Final Cut. Once again the tools seemed more than adequate for what was needed as this film only had a simple mix involving dialogue, foley, ambience and music.

Leave a Reply